Answers to 5 common questions about Athabasca University

Pin It

Athabasca UniversityAthabasca University is not like most universities. Our online, at-a-distance teaching methods mean that we operate differently when it comes to student interaction, exams and quite a few matters of administration. Here are the answers to some of the most common Athabasca University questions we hear from our students because of the ways that we’re different.

1. Where can I meet other students in my course or program?

The Landing is Athabasca University’s own social network. It’s a great place for you to connect with other students in your courses or program and to create groups where you can study, do homework and hang out. The Landing is also ideal for getting to know AU faculty better.

You can also find students through AU’s two students’ unions: the AU Students’ Union for undergraduate students and the AU Graduate Students’ Association.

And last but not least, you can connect with AU students, staff, alumni and other AU folks with the following social networks external to AU:

2. How do I write an exam?

To write an exam, you need to complete and submit an Examination Request Form.

You’ll need to write your exam under the supervision of an invigilator either at one of AU’s locations in Calgary, Edmonton or Athabasca, or, if you’re more than 100 km away from any of these locations, at a location that is part of AU’s exam invigilation network.

If you need to write your exam at a location that is not part of AU’s exam invigilation network, you can propose a new invigilator near you to supervise your exam.

If you have a disability, AU’s Access for Students with Disabilities Examination Services can arrange whatever accommodations you might need to write your exam.

For more information on writing exams, see exam policies and procedures, or visit Office of the Registrar Examination Services.

3. I need more time to finish my course. How do I request more time?

If you’re taking an AU course through individualized study, which typically gives you six months to complete a 3-credit course, you can request an extension if you need more time to finish the course.

If you’re taking a course through grouped study, extensions are not allowed.

4. I’ve been inactive in my studies for a while, but I’m ready to get going again. How do I change my status back to “active” student?

  1. Go to myAU and log in.
  2. If this is your first time logging into myAU, your password will be your birthday in the format of YYYYMMDD.
  3. In the Manage Your Program section, click on Change Program.
  4. Complete the form to reactivate your status as either a program or non-program student. No application fee is required, but if you’re having a transfer credit evaluation completed, you may have to pay a transfer credit evaluation fee.
  5. After reactivating your status, check to see if your contact information is up to date by clicking on the Change Your Personal Information link in myAU.

5. I have a different question. Where can I find answers?

The AU website has Ask AU, a handy interactive Q & A feature where you can ask AU by typing your question into the Ask box.

With Ask AU, you can also search for answers to your questions with a word or phrase. For example, if you’re looking for information about grades, you can type “grades” into the Ask box, and a list of answers for grades-related questions will appear.

If Ask AU doesn’t answer your question, you can get help from a human:

Faculty of Business Student Support Centre
For students in the Faculty of Business.

Faculty of Science and Technology Student Support Centre
For students in the Faculty of Science and Technology.

AU Information Centre
For all students with questions related to AU. If the Information Centre can’t answer your question, they’ll direct you to the office that can.

Thoughts on this article?

Share your comments below.