The Hub Shining a light on men’s mental health: Dr. Jeff Chang, CTV Morning Live Edmonton

Shining a light on men’s mental health: Dr. Jeff Chang, CTV Morning Live Edmonton

With November focusing on more than moustaches, and shining a light on men’s physical and mental health, Dr. Jeff Chang, a Registered Psychologist and Professor at Athabasca University (AU) joined CTV Morning Live, Edmonton, to share his insights. 

Chang discussed the biggest influences on men’s mental health, and chatted about how COVID-19 has drastically impacted things.

“About 80 per cent of families that responded to survey in the UK stated that COVID has actually brought them closer. On the other hand, 20 per cent of respondents said they’re drinking more and are having more arguments at home. About half say that they’re more depressed or anxious,” he said. 

In offering some solutions to those who feel they may be, or may know someone who is struggling, Chang emphasized that the first line of defence in protecting our mental health is engaging with other people. And, while COVID-19 has made that increasingly more difficult, ensuring that you are staying connected with friends and loved ones during this time will have positive impacts on your mental health and well-being. 

“Meaningfulness, having something you feel is worth your while in your life, whether it be family, job, valuing the work you do, all contributes to a sense of belonging,” he said.

Chang concluded the interview by providing a list of free counselling services in Northern Alberta and around Edmonton for those who feel they would like to speak to a mental-health professional. 

Raising awareness about men’s health and checking in on your friends and loved ones is so important—today and every day. If someone you know is in distress, please call the Distress Line at 780-482-4357 (HELP). 

Published:
  • November 19, 2020